+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Holden having problems with VE Commodore

Default Re: Holden having problems with VE Commodore

Quote Originally Posted by PaulST
    I'm seeing a few of them out on the road now. While they do look high, they're very classy, European and incredibly solid looking. They do make the cars around them look very old in comparison.
    2 weeks now and I still haven't seen a VE on the road. My bus trip to and from work takes me through some major traffic (Gore Hill fwy, Harbour Bridge) so a bit surprised I haven't seen one yet. Perhaps it is taking a while for them to delivered since I assume people are out there placing orders.

Ride
    AUIII F/mont Ghia

I've seen 3 Statesman/Caprice's on the road (one was stitting in a car park) so far.

Points to know about it:
    1. The front looks wide. Nice stance, even if the headlights look a bit too large.
    2. The rear looks REEEAAALLLLLLLLLYYY skinny. Waaaaaaayyyyy tooo skinny.
    3. The rear overhang is ridiculous.
    Current car - AUIII Fairmont Ghia. Organza. Stock as a rock.
    Coming soon - ??? (but something is on order!)
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so." - Ford Prefect (as written by Douglas Adams)

Ride
    62 XL wagon76 GS ute

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewCowley
    2 weeks now and I still haven't seen a VE on the road. My bus trip to and from work takes me through some major traffic (Gore Hill fwy, Harbour Bridge) so a bit surprised I haven't seen one yet. Perhaps it is taking a while for them to delivered since I assume people are out there placing orders.
    There is a whole holding yard full of them at Archerfield waiting to go.Every Holden dealer in Brisbane has heaps of them,all got at least 2 SS's.Only seen 2 on the the road though.Gee the base model looks terrible.

We all can't be heroes.Somebody has to sit on the sides and clap as they go by.

Ride
    Nothing fun

I've seen a few VE's already including an SS-V. I keep thinking it's a 380 at first, and the ride on all of them is just too high.

You better take care of me Lord! If you don't, you're gonna have me on your hands!

Hunter S. Thompson

Ride
    2005 Ford GT

Quote Originally Posted by longy
    Gee the base model looks terrible.
    Amen brother. Truly ghastly. Same goes for the Berlina - check out the side on pic of it in this month's wheels... utterly putrid (especially the side profile of the rear lights).

VE is NOT a good looking car. It screams old Astra from the front and rear is just piss-weak. As turbo nick said the ride height is laughable.

Ride
    2014 VF SSV Redline

Wow, what a dredged up old topic (2004!).

Paul's right - there's no way it was done PURELY for 50/50 weight - i think the crash safety etc was a bigger reason. But with anything, it's all a balance.

Of note, the "jack point" for jump starting is actually under the bonnet - you dont connect the jumper cables to the battery in the boot. Have a look next time - the points on the front left of the engine bay (at least in the SS-V i drove)
    Current Rides:
    2014 VF Commodore SSV Redline Manual
    2013 VW Touareg 180TDI

Still, I've owned plenty of Fords before......

Ride
    FG R6 Ute

Notice how late model cars have high capacity alternators. Perhaps they flood current through the wiring using the alternator's voltage regulator at one end and the battery as a capacitor at the other end to prevent spikes. Moving the battery to the back would then make sense if you wanted stabalise the rear wiring loom.
    Last edited by JPD80; 27-08-2006 at 11:26 AM.

Hey there ive owned both ford and holden and like them both, I currently own the VE SV6 and have had it for 3 months now.
    The first 2 months it spent most of its life back at the Holden dealer to fix up reoccuring faults, one was with the computer as the check engine light would activate and send the car into safety mode which automatically decreases the power. In this time i called Road Assist 3 times, one time for a flat battery, Ive been told that the 2006 VEs, SS, SV6, Calais models had faulty batteries but my 2007 model the problem was suppose to have been resolved. My battery went flat basically because of all the systems in this car that require power, so if you do low mileage the car doesnt charge on idle. Anyway touch wood the problems I have had are fixed, Ive heard of 5 other Holden owners with the VEs having similar problems or problems with their steering e.g clicking noises, bad insulation on the doors, and airconditioning problems. The problem with this car is its so computerised and high tech that no one but Holden can fix if it breaks down, Im sure the new ford will have its problems when it is released like most new cars do.

Anyway in defence of my new Holden it is an absolute dream drive to me when it is behaving and I enjoy driving it more than any other car I have owned.

By the way I was told by one of the Holden mechanics that they were going to change the battery back to the front of the car, why I couldnt be bothered listening ( hey Im a girl after all )

cheers fordys hope all your fan belts are chugging away!

Ride
    2014 VF SSV Redline

Welcome to the forums. Feel free to post pics in the my ride section. What colour is your VE??

Bit unlucky with the car there. Hopefully it's now all sorted. I've found (in general) Holden dealers are much more receptive to owner's problems with their cars and invariably get them sorted out. Ford dealers on the other hand.......
    Current Rides:
    2014 VF Commodore SSV Redline Manual
    2013 VW Touareg 180TDI

Still, I've owned plenty of Fords before......

Ride
    bf xr8 ute

the bat was put in the boot for crashes where things like battery go flying.
    they proply dident put heavy enough wire for the current draw with the extra length.
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and no one is really sure about the universe yet"
    Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Ride
    FG R6 Ute

It's also a good way to stabilise the wiring loom.
    Have the battery at one end and the Alternator at the other,
    the battery becomes like a capacitor and dampens voltage spikes.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information