+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Gilmer pulley kit 250 crossflow???

Experienced Member
    Ride
    TC XLE, TC GT Coupe

Default Gilmer pulley kit 250 crossflow???

just wondering guys if anyone knows if a gilmer pulley kit can be fitted to a 250 cross flow.... ive looked on a few sites now and it seems they only list the kits for the ford v8's..... and some holden 6's and even a 4cyl gemi...... why not the 250 crossflow??? i could have sworn i saw somewhere in a thread on this forum of a 250 with this kit fitted but for the life of me i cant find it anymore... thanks guys

Experienced Member
    Ride
    TE Cortina

Default Re: Gilmer pulley kit 250 crossflow???

Yeh i had it fitted to my car. Bit of mucking around but it can be done. You need to buy the v8 ford windsor kit... Whether you want to spend some extra money and lots of time making it work, then it might not be worth the hassle. If you want it for the sound though, then it does make a nice whine, depends on which belt you use though. I personally wouldnt want to go through it again though, way too many headaches for me to get it working 100%.. Eg, if the pulleys dont line up perfectly, you'll be throwing belts and damaging them aswell, not to mention if you tighten up the belt real tight ( which i bet you will as the tighter the belt the louder and nicer the whine is) then you'll damage your alternator and water pumping very very quickly

Experienced Member
    Ride
    TC XLE, TC GT Coupe

i had a feeling it would take some mucking about.... and the sound would be quite interesting lol main reason i liked the idea of it is because i plan to run a really heavy duty alternator if not two and loved the idea of the belt not slipping.... what sort of alignment problems did you run into might i ask???

Experienced Member
    Ride
    TE Cortina

the tension from the belt can make the alternator sit at a slightly different angle to the other pulleys, even the littlest bit of angle will mean you'll chew belts etc. I even fitted an xf alternator and bracket which is much better design then cortina, and i still had some problems with it, not as bad as standard bracket though... Even if you run a heavy duty alternator, you will damage it in no time if you tighten the belt too much, the bearings arent designed to handle that much tension. What i mean by tightening too much, is for example using a pinch bar to tighten the belt lol, but thats what will give you the nice sound! Remember, a supercharger uses a tensioner to make the belt tight, where as on the corty your gona have to use the alternator to tighten it and thats where the problem is.
    Also, the main reason the gilmer drive off the net doesnt make much sound is because the grooves on the pulleys arent pointy like on superchargers etc, so the squarish grooves mean the belt doesnt make a loud whining sound.Research on the net how supercharger pulleys look like compare to the gilmer drive pulleys and you'll know what im talking about. Not to mention the belts used to run superchargers are twice as wide as them used on gilmer drives....
    Hope this info helps lol

Experienced Member
    Ride
    TC XLE, TC GT Coupe

thanks for the info mate if i do decide to go ahead with this ill probably make some custom alternator bracket which holds it solid and then have a seperate tensioner which pushes on the smoothe backing of the belt. that way it wont push the belt in any direction... might i ask tho, did you have to modify the pulleys much to make them fit?

Ride
    1973 Ford Cortina

I don't know if this will solve the problem or not, but another way to get a better drive belt setup is to use an EF harmonic balancer and run the 6 rib belt. This solved my belt throwing issues and was much cheaper/easier than a Gilmer drive, although it doesn't make the aforementioned whirring sound lol.

Experienced Member
    Ride
    TC XLE, TC GT Coupe

yeah i had also contemplated that myself but i figured i might aswell just use a double pulley on my alternator that way i can run 2 belts.... wont slip then... wasnt entirely after the wirring noise from the gilmer... thanks guys

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information