+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How to replace headligh globe on a BA without slashing your fingers ?

Ride
    BA XT

Default How to replace headligh globe on a BA without slashing your fingers ?

How do you replace a main globe from the front headlight assembly on a BA ? I think the battery or the air box has to be removed first. Anybody tried it? There is just no room to fit your hand in to get at the headlight connector.

Ride
    Mazda 323 SP20

Default Re: How to replace headligh globe on a BA without slashing your fingers ?

It is very difficult! I have done it without removing the battery but it was a task and a half. Airbox does need to come out, not quite as simple a job as it looks. The other hard thing is actually releasing the wiring plug from the headlight globe. There are plastic prongs or fingers that hold it on. These days I just take the car back to Ford if a globe needs replacing. Last time it took Ford mechanic less than 2 mins as I watched!
    Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity

Ride
    BA XT

Default Re: How to replace headligh globe on a BA without slashing your fingers ?

Thanks

I did have a go at it , I replaced the globe on the battery side. I had to remove the battery and its plastic box (you need a battery strap to lift it up and out), the the plastic box then has to come out. You are right the bulb connector is difficult to remove because of the the clips that have to be pushed in before the connector comes off. All up it took me an hour to replace 1 globe. How much does the dealer charge to do it? The more I look into these vehicles the more they look like they have been designed to keep the dealer in business and the home mechanic out.

Ride
    Mazda 323 SP20

Quote Originally Posted by Wal
    Thanks

How much does the dealer charge to do it? The more I look into these vehicles the more they look like they have been designed to keep the dealer in business and the home mechanic out.
    Cost me a sixpack last time!
    Fod do seem to over engineer small things like this and under engineer larger more important things like disc rotors.
    Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity

aka turbo nick
    Ride
    2010 VW Golf

I had both replaced without removing anything but not by myself. I just take it to an electrician I use and pay him $10 to do it, and that includes the globe. It's just not worth it doing it yourself...

You better take care of me Lord! If you don't, you're gonna have me on your hands!

Hunter S. Thompson

Forum Regular
    Ride
    2002 BA Falcon Wagon

Thanks for the advise.
    I think I'll check with my local local Ford for a price before I start.
    Over an hour to change a bulb doesn't sound like my kind of fun.

Thanks
    Steve

Ride
    BA wagon, Camry S/W

I have changed both mine at different times - I tend to drive with the lights on (but I dont really want a Volvo) a fair bit, so they take a fair hammering.

Needed to take the battery out for Drivers side, but just pop the top off air box on other side. The worst part is, as above, getting the 3-pt plug off the back. Usually stuck on after 2-3 yrs.

The bulb's going in the bin anyway, so lever it off evenly, alternating sides of the plug, with a screwdriver. Both times a prong has broken off the bulb, so it was really stuck and nvere going to come off just with fingers. Then use pliers to remove prong from plug, then in goes new one.

Thanks for the advice; just reporting that I've undertaken the task and successfully replaced both left and right bulbs (I'm assuming when one goes it's worthwhile replacing both). To add my tuppence (2 cents you you young ones...)

1. Remove the lid and filter from the air filter box. Carefully push the lid and inlet well back out of your way.

2. Head over the the Battery, undo the securing bracket bolt, put both bolt and bracket aside.
    3. Carefully disconnect negative and positive leads, tuck them away safely.
    4. Manouver? the battery up and carefully lift it out (a large screwdriver between the battery lip and the plastic case helped me)
    5. Remove the plastic battery box.

6. Don't attempt to remove the rubber boots covering the bulb assembly. In fact push them well in, especially the middle section around the plastic wiring clip.
    7. There are two plastic lugs on either side of the wiring clip, squeeze both sides firmly (you won't feel or hear anything click) and pull the clip out. I spent 5 minutes squeezing! without actually pulling the damn thing off!

8. Once the wiring clip is off pull the rubber boot right off.

9. Release the spring wire clip that hold the bulb in. Push it down and then to the side (look.. you'll see how it clips in.). Check the way the bulb is in before you take it out.

10. New bulb in.. WARNING - don't touch the glass part of the bulb. Put the wire clip back on making sure it clicks when you tuck it under the metal teeth?

11. Get the rubber boot well seated around the base of the globe, then fold it over the headlight rim.
    12. Attach the wiring clip.

One done, now do the other side....

Put the battery and air filter back together.

Turn on the ignition..... in My BA the clock/radio syncronised itself with the vehicle, no code was needed. Not sure about other models. Check you manual.

Best of luck.... only one bleeding knuckle!! and that was from the steel clip on the airfilter!!

Cheers.. Chris

Ride
    ford falcon ba xt

Talking Re: How to replace headligh globe on a BA without slashing your fingers ?

i did the passenger side head light.had to take air filter out .getting the clip off the end was a task but once it was off took me 5 minutes to change and put air filter assembly back on

Ride
    BF F6 Typhoon

Quote Originally Posted by freeway7250 View Post
    4. Manouver? the battery up and carefully lift it out (a large screwdriver between the battery lip and the plastic case helped me)
    Instead of levering out with a screw driver, use a pair of multigrips (with plastic handle) or vicegrips on each terminal and use these to lift it out of the holder.

Quote Originally Posted by Falchoon View Post
    Cost me a sixpack last time!
    Fod do seem to over engineer small things like this and under engineer larger more important things like disc rotors.
    And hand brakes...

Forum Veteran
    Ride
    DF LTD 5.0 & BA XR8

for $10.... get a sparky or a mechanic to do it for you... easy.
    Isn't it good when everything just works!!

Experienced Member
    Ride
    AU Fairmont Ghia, EF

I've just noticed people saying how difficult it is to remove batteries that don't come with a handle.
    I was shown be a panel-beater a long time ago. Its easy really if you follow a few simple steps.
    With everything disconnected and out the way, get yourself 2 pair of vice-grips and lightly clamp them to the posts on the battery.
    Just tight enough that they wont slip and don't distort the posts.
    grip each vice-grip down near the posts and lift the battery out, once you see it done you realise how simple it is and there is no struggle at all. Very easy.

Forum Veteran
    Ride
    DF LTD 5.0 & BA XR8

Quote Originally Posted by oliveoil_popeye View Post
    get yourself 2 pair of vice-grips and lightly clamp them to the posts on the battery.
    common knowledge i though.. but u can change it with the battery in if you know the mechanics of the back of the headlight. too tricky if you dont.
    Last edited by Bass; 04-07-2011 at 08:09 PM.

There's the plastic tub that the battery sits in - I got rid of that ages ago. To change a globe on that side (ie driver side) I just loosen off the battery clamp so that I can move the battery back a bit. Then I can get to the globe.

On the passenger side, I undo the screws on the airbox lid and move that aside. Then you can get to the globe.

I had both globe connectors replaced at an auto electrician ages ago. The new ones slide on and off the globes a lot easier.

I haven't blown a globe in my taxi since about August 2009. My girlfriend has gone through four of them in the last two months. Women drivers.

Ride
    BA XLS UTE / BF GHIA

Quote Originally Posted by oliveoil_popeye View Post
    I've just noticed people saying how difficult it is to remove batteries that don't come with a handle.
    I was shown be a panel-beater a long time ago. Its easy really if you follow a few simple steps.
    With everything disconnected and out the way, get yourself 2 pair of vice-grips and lightly clamp them to the posts on the battery.
    grip each vice-grip down near the posts and lift the battery out, once you see it done you realise how simple it is and there is no struggle at all. Very easy.
    My secret to getting the battery out is to get two ring spanners that fit snug over the terminals place them on the terminals across the battery and lift . Works for me

Ride
    2003 XR6 Falcon ute

Chris, thank you for the lovely detailed instructions. I'm with you - only one bleeding knuckle, also from the steel clip on the air filter!

Ride
    Falcon BA tray

G'day,

what a mess ! how are you supposed to handle this job on the side of the road in the dark and probably pouring rain - cos Murphy will make sure that you have something to think about....

That sort of design mentality makes the mind boggle. With all the dubious stuff that is in the ADRs you would think that something like quick 'n easy light globe changes would have been covered years ago to make these idiots do the right thing.

cheers,
    Bob

Ride
    Falcon BA Ghia Mk 11

G,day, Yeah tell me about fords design team! , i have replaced globes a number of times without removing battery or air box .I have resulted in using a pair of multigrips to remove the connectors .I would hate to replace a globe in the dark though.

Forum Veteran
    Ride
    DF LTD 5.0 & BA XR8

not a job for the apprentice, ive done it in the dark... my advice.... don't do it when kids are around and do it away form the neighbours. Every curse word that can be used will be used.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information